A Real Estate Brokerage Featuring Historic & Contemporary Properties For Sale in Maryland
Handsome ca. 1871 inspiring architecture. This striking building began life as a meeting hall for the Knights of Pythias in what was then the town center of Rock Hall. President Lincoln inspired Congress to adopt the organization’s charter - the first ever chartered by an Act of Congress. Meetings took place in the grand hall on the second floor which now houses a flourishing sail maker. The first floor remained a General Store until the 1960’s. Many of the original features remain. The narrow oak beaded board paneling on walls and ceilings harken from the Victorian period.
An impressive curved oak stairway with massive newel post carry one to the era of secret meetings of the Pythian Hall. Much of the first floor remains, only altered to house comfortable quarters for the highly creative owners. One is drawn to the imaginative design adaptations which is a combination of “country” and the 21st century luxuries such as a sauna and central air conditioning. The gardens, thoughtfully & carefully executed, complete this exceptional property.
Although used as a business location & owners residence, this unusual building could be easily adapted to a weekend retreat or continue as a business location plus owners living space.
Grounds & Parking
• Lot: 60'x 150.'
• One car attached garage & off-street parking.
• Mature gardens beautifully designed & maintained.
• Outbuilding with overhead storage & concrete floor - 12'x16.'
• Stately original 5'10"x2'10" - 6 over 6 windows throughout.
First Floor Living Quarters
• Two bedrooms.
• Central air conditioning.
• 8'10" ceilings.
• Original white oak floors. New red oak floors in living & family rooms.
• Original Douglas Fir beaded board ceilings & walls. Natural & painted.
• Wood burning fireplace & Vigilant wood stove with ceramic tile hearth.
• Stained glass French doors.
• Ceiling fans throughout.
• Ceramic floor in guest room.
• Indirect and track lighting.
• Artistic light fixtures throughout.
• Interior window shutters with unusual wood shelf & bracket closures.
• Unique tile designs in showers.
• Copper panels & many wood shelves.
• Extensive built-in bookshelves.
• Hickory kitchen cabinets & ceramic counter top, painted original beaded board wall & ceiling.
• Gas "wood" stove.
• Washer & dryer included.
Second Floor Grand Hall:23'x60'
• Original pine floors.
• 13 foot vaulted ceiling.
• Original oversized 6 over 6 windows.
• Stage 10'x23'.
• Original corner cupboards on stage.
• Natural Douglas Fir beaded board wainscoting.
• Half bath.
• Office of Grand Hall with original painted beaded board walls & ceiling.
Design & Cutting Room: 26'x28'
• 7'10" ceiling.
• Stair to exterior & garage.
• Dormer windows.
The building is currently designed with owners quarters on first floor and business on second floor. However, with very few changes, the building could be adapted to a full residence. The Grand Hall could be a spectacular living/dining room and the Design/Cutting room would make a fine kitchen or master bedroom suite. The possibilities are unlimited.
The Sail Loft
Rock Hall in County of Kent
"Far From the Ordinary"